Additional Resources and Publications
The Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery ACT (CARA) establishes a comprensive, coordinated, balanced strategy through enhanced grant programs that would expland prevention and education efforts while also promoting treatment and recovery. Passed the U.S Senate on March 10, 2016, by a vote of 94-1. Passed the U.S. House or Representatives on May 13, 2016, by a vote of 400-5.
Previsions of CARA
- Expand prevention and educational efforts-particularly aimed at teens, parents and other caretakers, and aging populations-to prevent the abuse of methamphetamines, opioids and heroin, and to promoted treatment and recovery.
- Expand the availability of naloxone to law enforcement agencies and other first responders to help in the reversal of overdoses to save lives.
- Expand resources to identify and treat incarcerated individuals suffering from addiction disorders promptly by collaborating with criminal justice stakeholders and by providing evidence-based treatment.
- Expand disposal sites for unwanted prescription medications to keep them out of the hands of our children and adolescents.
- Launch an evidence-based opioid and heroin treatment and intervention program to expand best practices throughout the country. Launch a medication assisted treatment and intervention demonstration program.
- Strengthen prescription drug monitoring programs to help states monitor and track prescription drug diversion and to help at-risk individuals access services.
Additional Programs and Resources
CIT International - www.citinternational.org
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - https://www.cdc.gov
Coalition on Homelessness and Housing in Ohio - www.cohhio.org/
Corporation for Supportive Housing - www.csh.org
Council of State Governments Justice Center Mental Health Program - www.csgjusticecenter.org/mental-health
Crisis Text Line - www.crisistexline.org
The Federal Bonding Program - www.bonds4jobs.com
Laura and John Arnold Foundation - www.arnoldfoundation.org
Lutheran Metropolitan Ministry Health & Wellness - www.lutheranmetro.org
National Association of Pretrial Services Agencies - https://napsa.org/eweb/startpage.aspx
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) - www.nami.org
NAMI Ohio - www.namiohio.org
National Center for Cultural Competence - nccc.georgetown.edu
Nation Center for Trauma Informed Care and Alternatives to Seclusion and Restraint - www.samhsa.gov/nctic
Project Lazarus - www.projectlazarus.org
National Criminal Justice Reference Service - www.ncjrs.gov
National Institute of Corrections - www.nicic.gov
National Institute on Drug Abuse - www.drugabuse.gov
Office of Justice Programs - www.ojp.usdoj.gov
Ohio Automated RX reporting System - www.ohiomp.gov/
Ohio Criminal Justice Coordination Center of Excellence - http://www.neomed.edu/cjccoe/
Ohio Department of Health – Project DAWN - www.odh.ohio.gov-ProjectDAWN
Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction Ohio Reentry Resource Center - www.drc.ohio.gov/reentry-office
Ohio Ex-Offender Reentry Coalition - www.drc.ohio.gov/reentry-coalition
Partners for Recovery - www.samhsa.gov/partners-for-recovery
Police Assisted Addition and Recovery Initiative - www.paariusa.org
Policy Research Associates/SAMHSA’s GAINS Center - www.prainc.com
The P.E.E.R Center - www.thepeercenter.org/
Pretrial Justice Institute - www.pretrial.org
SOAR: SSI/SSDI Outreach and Recovery - https://soarworks.prainc.com
State of Ohio Board of Pharmacy - www.pharmacy.ohio.gov
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - www.samhsa.gov
Supreme Court of Ohio Specialized Dockets Section - www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/JCS/specdockets/
Treatment Advocacy Center - www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org
University of Memphis CIT Center - www.cit.memphis.edu/
Veterans Justice Outreach - www.va.gov